Monday, February 9, 2015

Bigger, Better & More

January 29, 2015
They say as you get older you lose more people. It's a sad reality. A sad reality that's been REALLY REAL lately. Yesterday Heaven welcomed yet another one that I love. Was it only yesterday? Yes it was. It was only a month (and a day) after we found out just how limited her time was. Now she's gone. I know she had a big welcoming committee waiting for her. Tuesday night I said my goodbye, told her how much I loved her & asked her to hug a couple of those people she was about to see. I know she did. I know she's at peace. She's reunited with so many she's lost...her love, her son, her parents, her best friend...the list is long. I'm glad she's not in pain anymore. I'm gonna miss her stories. Let me tell you my version of our story.

About 16 years ago there was this guy. He rode dirt bikes & he was good looking & fun & that's all any 18 year old girl needs right?!? So imagine my excitement when he says he's riding at Memorial Coliseum & he's bringing me to watch. What???!!!!!! So I go. I can't remember all the details, but here's what you need to know. He could ride a dirt bike. He made it look like he was born to do it. It was incredible to watch. That's not all though. There were some other people from the coast there to watch that day too. His mom & dad. So he introduced me as his "friend" & I sat & watched with them. They were awesome. We shared cotton candy & watched in amazement as he threw that dirt bike around the track & soared over jumps, then landed like it was nothing. It was a great day. I had no idea then that those people would be my family. That's my first memory of Jay's parents. Bob, Sonja & I eating cotton candy & watching him ride. They were these awesome people who made you feel welcome from the moment you met them. 

Later on...the following year, they met their granddaughter. Sonja's story of us went like this: "I remember Jay introducing you as his "friend" and then a year later there you were with my granddaughter." :) I think I was more nervous to see her that second time. That was 15 years ago. We made a lot of memories over those 15 years. Suffered some great losses together. First Bob...her love, then her mom, my dad, Jay & the list goes on. She loved her family so much & I'm very blessed to have become part of that family. 

February 9, 2015
I couldn't find the right words when I started this so I'm finally finishing it now. Today we will lay her to rest next to the love of her life & her mother. Yesterday we celebrated her, and mourned her, and so many stories were shared. She touched so many lives. Loved so many & was LOVED by so many. It was a hard day. I went to bed early with big dreams for a long sleep, but about 1:30am I was awake & my thoughts won't quiet so here I am. I do my best work when everyone is sleeping. Sonja did too. If you needed someone to talk to in the middle of the night she was your girl. I guess it's fitting that I'm writing about her now.

Yesterday walking into the Warrenton Community Center there was this feeling of deja vu. Hadn't we just been here for Jay? Didn't I keep waiting for him to walk in that day? There we were again. With another Bjaranson missing. Looking over our shoulders for her for that one second before we realized she's really gone. And just like I'm sure she did years ago in Vegas whenever she sang, she packed the house. All the seats were taken & people just kept pouring in. All with heavy hearts & at least one funny story of this amazing woman who lived more in her nearly 73 years than most could live in two lifetimes. 

Thank goodness she loved telling stories because she had so much to tell. She had a story about everyone. Everyone. Even Elvis. And Frank Sinatra. Can you even imagine? The best part of her stories though was the love. So much love. Just overflowing with love. Bigger, better & more. That was always her reply when you told her you loved her..."I love you bigger, better & more" she'd say. I know she'll be watching over all of us. Loving us. I'm sure going to miss seeing her, hearing "bigger, better & more", laughing at her stories & just laughing because that lady was a riot. You can see it in every picture. Like she's up to something...because she usually was! Always a smirk on her face & a twinkle in her eye.


8-4 Mama B. I love you bigger, better & more!

No comments:

Post a Comment